[Genivi-ipc] Guide to build Common API deprecated version (2.1.4)

Gunnar Andersson gandersson at genivi.org
Fri May 11 10:21:35 EDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-11 at 12:59 +0530, Suraj Kottayi wrote:
> Hi Foster,
>
> 	I have tried to update the common api to the latest version
> (3.1.10). However the common-api generation through .fidl files (Franca
> IDL) are producing codes which are dependent on commonapi-core 2.1.4. For
> instance MediaTypes.hpp ,a file generated from MediaTypes.fidl is looking
> for files like CommonPI/InputStream.h ,CommonAPI/types.h which are not
> available in common-api-core v3.1.10.

Can CommonAPI maintainer help out here maybe?

But my initial feeling is that if your code generation is creating files
that are incompatible with the core, then you should check if the generation
tool is really the same release version as the core.

Have you checked this?  Since there has been some evolution in the code that
is generated, it is required (in the Common API documentation) that you
always use the same version for the tools and runtimes/libaries/headers for
things to match up.

> As per my understanding .fidl files of media manager which we checked out
> from Genivi website is also outdated.

Why do you say that, and in what way outdated?

> Could you please help us make modifications in .fidl files to generate the
> updated common-api wrapper. Also I would appreciate if you can guide us in
> making the corresponding changes in the common-api part of media manager.

I don't think you should have to modify Franca files to adjust the files
that are generated from those files.  That sounds backwards to me.
If you find really old C++ code however, that might be written against APIs
that have been slightly changed and need some modification to match a newer
CommonAPI library.

If you first check that you are using identical versions of the tools &
runtimes, then we could ask for expert help if it's still needed.

- Gunnar