git:// vs https:// (was: VirtualKeyboard...)

Gunnar Andersson gandersson at genivi.org
Fri Aug 17 05:10:20 EDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-08-10 at 16:27 +0200, Karol wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to add VirtualKeyboard to my project by compiling it with
> application from sources.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Did you create a recipe for this, or
how did you do it exactly?

> Problem with cloning was caused by firewall, so it was my mistake. Managed
> it by changing all links in `.gitmodules` which were using ssh to http
> counterpart.

SSH is not specified for the standard submodules in GDP, but some of use
git:// URLs.  (That's not the same, but it's a common mistake so don't
worry).

We used to convert them all to https:// because of some corporate firewall
issues, but it seems that git:// has crept in again over time.

If there is a demand for it, we can modify them all back to https again.

What do you all think?  Is it worth doing and is it a common problem?

Depending on how the git server is set up, there can be small
feature/performance differences, such as negotiating the most efficient
delta update during pulls etc.  But that's only if there is a "dumb" HTTP
transport used behind, and it is not usually the case I think.

Looking at this from a higher perspective, there are still fundamental
issues to solve in typical Yocto based development - namely that everyone is
compiling the same source code over and over, locally.   It still seems like
a strange and bad use of resources...  It would certainly be possible to set
up smarter setups systems that share binary results across users.  (Other
build systems do that, but even with yocto it should be possible to do
more).

> [trimmed]

Gunnar Andersson <gandersson at genivi.org>
Development Lead