Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2018

Chandeepa Dissanayake chandeepadissanayake at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 15:31:10 EDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chandeepa Dissanayake <chandeepadissanayake at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2018
To: "Foster, Jeremiah" <JFoster at luxoft.com>

Hi there!

I would love to extend a huge thank you for selecting my project in GSOC
2018. I'm over the moon right now and just to mention, this is my first
ever GSOC program.

If you'd mind, please explain me more about the background out there and
how you'd like to see the project get going.

I would love to directly speak about my project, this has been an idea
whizzing in my mind since the first moment I learned a bit about smart
vehicles. After submitting the proposal I thought that would not suffice to
explain the technical stuff to you though, ultimately it did.

It would be better if we could divide the project into several blocks, as
this is a project with a collection of ideas. I would love to know your
thoughts on this, but I would simply explain what I'm having in my mind
right now. Still I would not get deeper into technical, on how it's being
done, let's scratch the surface for now. When it comes to different
sections of the project, I would dive deeper and speak about my ideas on
the project.

Currently, what I'm thinking of doing is as follows.
1. Wrapping the whole set of API's currently available around something
called "SmartAPI" - this would be some sort of interface between the
intelligent parts and currently existing facilities.
2. Building a basic model of Voice Command System - this would just convert
voice commands to API calls. It would be better to write this from the
beginning to make sure everything fits into "SmartAPI"
3. Training the models of Voice Command Systems to respond to wide variety
of voice commands:
         I would like to clarify the difference between the existing
systems and the specialty of training this model. Existing systems would
only accept certain commands pronounced in the exact same way. For
           example, if we want to switch on the radio system by voice
commands, we would have to say something like "turn on radio" in the exact
same way always. Instead by training this model, there may be many
   ways of asking to do the same thing, turning back on to the above
example, we may say "switch the radio on" OR "get my radio working" OR
"let's listen to some songs", the model would identify what's to be
   done. Basically, this would be the first step in the intelligent system
I've described in my proposal.

C++ would be a great idea, I would dive deeper into them when we discuss
specifically on each section of the project.

Note: I prefer to use Google libraries such as TensorFlow for training
processes etc. If you are having any other idea, I'm totally open to learn
them.

What I've described would be the first stage of the project I'm thinking
of. Please let me know your ideas on this and what are the basic
requirements(if any) you're hoping to be there the final outcome?

I'd love a skype session or anything like that if you do so.

Thank you!
Hoping to hear from you!

Chandeepa