[GENIVI] Graphics Sharing & Distributed HMI - Webex #2 - 23 November - Outcome

Kwangsub Kim kwangsub.kim at qt.io
Sat Nov 25 20:07:50 EST 2017

Hi all,

I was asked a question about Qt Remote Object (QtRO) as another option for graphics sharing at the webex meeting, but I couldn’t answer due to my connection environment. So I would like to mention QtRO on this thread.

Qt Remote Object is designed to enable communication between processes in a same domain originally. But it would be possible to use it across the domain if a proper backend is added. As Gunnar mentioned at that time, the purpose of QtRO is in a somewhat different level from graphics sharing because its goal is not specified to graphics (extending Qt meta-object-system to inter-process level). Thus, I think it would be preferable for generic messages or signals.

Personally I’m interested in Waltham and want to evaluate if it could be migrated to Qt Wayland as well. If it’s possible, it would be easy to switch its rendering target of HMI application base on Qt, e.g. just changing the target platform from ‘wayland’ to ‘waltham’. Recently we (The Qt Company) just started to consider inter-domain use case. So I hope to get more knowledge in this project and exchange opinions in the wiki or call.

@Alistair, if there’s something incorrect, please let us know.

Best regards,
Kwangsub
Sales Engineer | The Qt Company