How to use HostAP in M3 Starter kit

Stephen Lawrence stephen.lawrence at renesas.com
Wed Nov 22 16:18:07 EST 2017

Hi Changhyeok,

> I would like to use hostap in M3 Starter kit.
OK. Did you mean the literal hostap kernel driver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HostAP) or
did you mean does the board have wifi and can I enable it to provide an AP?

>Is it available to support wifi AP mode in the M3? If yes, could you let me know how to enable wifi AP?
The M3 Starter Kit does not have on-board wifi so you would need to add a wifi peripheral through one of the connectors
such as USB or use the Kingfisher Expansion Board which has Wifi/BT on-board.

Beyond that it ought to be possible with the right software. It's a pretty normal upstream mainline 4.9 kernel.
That said, I don't have nice documented steps for doing it. There is a lot of material on the web of course,
e.g.: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/documentation/hostapd#wireless_interface

I feel like I'm probably not answering your question.. If not could you be more specific.

Regards

Steve

I would like to use hostap in M3 Starter kit.
Is it available to support wifi AP mode in the M3? If yes, could you let me know how to enable wifi AP?

Thanks
Changhyeok