Policy Manager Project.

Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com
Fri Mar 17 03:52:12 EDT 2017

Hello Magnus,

Sounds interesting.

It fits sort of to some concepts we discussed long time ago with the CE group around device management. I suggested a device management approach (as an alternative to the centralistic approach the device manager is focusing on) in which device management is distributed over different components in a very simplified way, this works as follows:

-        Usb stick is attached

-        Kernel prepares it as mass storage device and signals user space

-        An automounter detects it and mounts the partitions

-        Once it is done, someone looks at the content and decides based on the content who is informed about the new partitions available for reading now

o   In case a navi map is on, navi is informed

o   In case of media on it, the indexer and mediaplayer are informed

o   In case of an update package, software manager is informed

o   …
This is just one example. The generic approach behind works most probably for different other devices as well.

Your approach fits somehow to this idea in a way that the policy manager you are mentioning fits pretty well to the component deciding where in the net of device management components the events are floating depending on the context, a customer project specific policy, and maybe some user interaction as well. Take a look into the slides I attached if you are interested in some more details …

I’d like to point out two challenges I see with your idea:

-        You might need very use case / domain specific states in your policy manager (e.g. “i-phone_connected _and_currently_in_role_switch_mode”)

-        For a decision, you might need very use case / domain specific information (e.g. “the usb stick attached and mounted at /media/xyz contains a file named super_mario.dat”)

-        The concludes for me to

o   Either you have very domain specific strategy components (bluetooth manager, audio manager, node state manager) with domain specific interfaces

o   Or the customer specific backends need lots of customer specific connections into the domains to get the information needed for taking decisions and for transitioning to the states

-        My feeling is that the first of both approach promises more concrete outcomes directly usable. Of course, one could try to generalize the actual policy engine in the background and implement it with one and the same component for all specific use cases and domains (e.g. using https://01.org/murphy).

My two cents …

Best regards

Marko Hoyer
Software Group II (ADITG/SW2)