Introduce myself

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com
Tue Mar 14 12:57:03 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Zeeshan Ali <zeeshan.ali at pelagicore.com>
wrote:

> Hi Theodor,

Hello!

> On 12 March 2017 at 22:06, Theodor Stoican <theo.stoican at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My name is Theodor Stoican and I am a third year student in Computer
> Science
> > at Politehnica University of Bucharest from Romania. I am writing to you
> > with regard to the following project "New spin on phone call app" , as
> part
> > of the Google Summer of Code 2017 programme with Genivi as organization.
> >
> > To give you some details about my background in Computer Science, last
> > summer, I was an intern at Ixia, a security company in Bucharest, where I
> > worked extensively with Wireshark, C/C++ and Qt (including creating a
> > client-server application and a dissector for an ad-hoc protocol within
> > Ixia's network). Moreover, since the first year I've been using on a
> regular
> > basis C and C++ as technologies (in data structures' implementation,
> network
> > programming, parallel programming using OpenMP and MPI and low-level
> > programming). Some of my projects can be found on Github
> > (https://github.com/theostoican).
>
> Awesome! With your background, I'm certain you'll make a very good
> GSoC candidate under GDP.

+1

> > I have already followed the instructions from "Instructions for
> interested
> > students" and played a bit with DBus. However, I am willing to know more
> > about the project and what the mobile application will exactly consist
> of.
> > Also, I would like to know what else I can do to in order to get more
> > accustomed to this project and Genivi in general, if you could help me
> with
> > that.
>
> Cool, that's neat. I assume this means you have already compiled GDP
> images and tried them out? Apart from DBus itself, you might want to
> play with bluez APIs a bit too, especially connecting your host to
> your phone over bluez. This demo app I wrote some months back should
> help:
>
> https://github.com/zeenix/bluetooth-demo

Also looking at ofono might be worthwhile: https://01.org/ofono Ofono also
uses dbus and is designed to have easy to use and compile APIs. It is part
of GENIVI's stack so it is in the GDP and used in some automotive
production projects.

> Once you are done with that and feeling like getting more involved
> with GDP, I'd advise to go through our Jira and see if you could
> contribute patches to fix some of the issues. I found two issues that
> I thought might be appropriate for a new contributor to start with:
>
> https://at.projects.genivi.org/jira/browse/GDP-549?jql=
> project%20in%20(GDP%2C%20HMIL)%20AND%20status%20in%20(%22In%
> 20Progress%22%2C%20%22To%20Do%22%2C%20%22In%20Review%22%2C%
> 20Analysis)%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc
>
> > what the mobile application will exactly consist of.
>
> There might be a misunderstanding here. There is not going to be a
> mobile application but application running on GDP system itself. Right
> now, just aim for a generic phone app, based on existing ones but we
> can get a designer's help when we get near to the start of the
> project.

Yeah, I think Zeeshan's right, the goal is to have a solid telephony "app"
but the key is not so much the UI but to use existing APIs to bluez and
ofono or determine what functionality is missing from those libraries if
something is in fact missing. I think mostly we'll be looking at code that
sits on the GDP already and glues together different libraries so it is
easy to make and receive 3G telephony applications. At least that is my
view, I welcome others who might have a different vision.

> Happy hacking!

+1

Jeremiah

> --