Introduce myself

Zeeshan Ali zeeshan.ali at pelagicore.com
Tue Mar 14 07:38:16 EDT 2017

Hi Theodor,

On 12 March 2017 at 22:06, Theodor Stoican <theo.stoican at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Theodor Stoican and I am a third year student in Computer Science
> at Politehnica University of Bucharest from Romania. I am writing to you
> with regard to the following project "New spin on phone call app" , as part
> of the Google Summer of Code 2017 programme with Genivi as organization.
>
> To give you some details about my background in Computer Science, last
> summer, I was an intern at Ixia, a security company in Bucharest, where I
> worked extensively with Wireshark, C/C++ and Qt (including creating a
> client-server application and a dissector for an ad-hoc protocol within
> Ixia's network). Moreover, since the first year I've been using on a regular
> basis C and C++ as technologies (in data structures' implementation, network
> programming, parallel programming using OpenMP and MPI and low-level
> programming). Some of my projects can be found on Github
> (https://github.com/theostoican).

Awesome! With your background, I'm certain you'll make a very good
GSoC candidate under GDP.

> I have already followed the instructions from "Instructions for interested
> students" and played a bit with DBus. However, I am willing to know more
> about the project and what the mobile application will exactly consist of.
> Also, I would like to know what else I can do to in order to get more
> accustomed to this project and Genivi in general, if you could help me with
> that.

Cool, that's neat. I assume this means you have already compiled GDP
images and tried them out? Apart from DBus itself, you might want to
play with bluez APIs a bit too, especially connecting your host to
your phone over bluez. This demo app I wrote some months back should
help:

https://github.com/zeenix/bluetooth-demo

Once you are done with that and feeling like getting more involved
with GDP, I'd advise to go through our Jira and see if you could
contribute patches to fix some of the issues. I found two issues that
I thought might be appropriate for a new contributor to start with:

https://at.projects.genivi.org/jira/browse/GDP-549?jql=project%20in%20(GDP%2C%20HMIL)%20AND%20status%20in%20(%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20%22To%20Do%22%2C%20%22In%20Review%22%2C%20Analysis)%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc

> what the mobile application will exactly consist of.

There might be a misunderstanding here. There is not going to be a
mobile application but application running on GDP system itself. Right
now, just aim for a generic phone app, based on existing ones but we
can get a designer's help when we get near to the start of the
project.

Happy hacking!

Zeeshan Ali