Handling large messages in rvi_lib

Phil Wise phil at advancedtelematic.com
Wed Mar 8 03:42:14 EST 2017

Hi Tatiana,

I don't know OpenSSL or rvi_lib very well, so forgive me if I have got
this wrong.

My understanding of the bug is that it is caused by the process that
splits the stream of bytes from the SSL/TLS into JSON objects (which are
then passed to json_loads).

At the moment the code seems to assume that the result of BIO_read will
be a whole protocol frame (aka JSON object), but I can't see why that
will always be the case.  My understanding of OpenSSL is that it
provides an interface like TCP, where read() can return an arbitrary
number of bytes from the stream.

Does that match your understanding?

Best Regards,

Phil