Update on Chromium+Wayland

Jacobo Aragunde Pérez jaragunde at igalia.com
Mon Dec 11 07:44:05 EST 2017

Hi all,

I won't be able to join the EG-NW call today, but I would like to send
an update on the status of the Chromium browser.

After the Web Engines Hackfest, Raphael from Intel merged his
completely-rewritten version of the Chromium recipes in the meta-browser
layer. This was required to support the GN build system, and now the
layer can be used to build the latest stable Chromium.

https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/blob/master/recipes-browser/chromium/chromium-x11_62.0.3202.94.bb

My colleagues have then merged into meta-browser the patches to build
our fork of Chromium with Wayland support. It's based on current beta
version (64), which is 11 milestones ahead the last Chromium-Wayland
provided by that layer!

https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/blob/master/recipes-browser/chromium/chromium-ozone-wayland_64.0.3274.0.r517731.igalia.1.bb

The work to merge the Wayland-enabled fork into upstream Chromium has
already started and it will go on during the first quarter of 2018.

Best,
--
Jacobo Aragunde
Software Engineer at Igalia