Review of W3C Vehicle Information Service Specification (VISS) and Vehicle Information API Specification (VIAS)

Streif, Rudolf rstreif at partner.jaguarlandrover.com
Tue Aug 8 11:14:10 EDT 2017

Colleagues:

I very much appreciate your feedback in reviewing the W3C specifications
for vehicle signals. I fully understand that it takes time out of your
already busy schedules.

When I sent the request for review I missed to include the GENIVI Vehicle
Signal Specification (VSS):
https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification. VSS is the data
basis for VISS and VIAS which specify the transport and the APIs. As an
industry we of course also need to define and standardize on the actual
signals so that application developers can rely on them. While VSS is
flexible and on purpose extensible with private extensions a set of
standard signals is necessary for standardization. However, that does not
mean that every vehicle has to implement and provide access to all of them.
While the signal names are standard, access to the underlying signals is of
course under the control of the OEM.

Thank you to Gerald Spreitz from Bosch for pointing that out to me.

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
Rudi