Issues with 1920x1080 screen resolution in Weston 1.9 for Renesas Porter

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Thu Nov 10 10:23:04 EST 2016

Hi Stephen,

This is a follow up email for our brief discussion during the GDP open
call yesterday regarding Weston screen resolutions on Renesas Porter board.

AGL and Weston 1.9 with DRM back-end for Renesas Porter board (rev 1.0)
does not appear on my Samsung T24D390 monitor using screen resolution
1920x1080. Weston appears if the screen resolution is lower
(mode=1024x768) or if I explicitly configure a modeline (mode=173.00
1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync).

I have provided details, including the u-boot env variables and some
logs, in AGL JIRA: https://jira.automotivelinux.org/browse/SPEC-298

I noticed that in documentation for building and booting GDP on Porter
the screen resolution is set to 1024x768 though the u-boot env
variables:
https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/display/GDP/Renesas+R-Car+M2+Porter+Hardware+Setup+and+Software+Installation#RenesasR-CarM2PorterHardwareSetupandSoftwareInstallation-Deployment(SDCARD)

I guess that probably there were also some similar issues with 1920x1080
on GDP. Yesterday the issues was also reported in GENIVI JIRA:
https://at.projects.genivi.org/jira/browse/GDP-452

I have no problems with 1920x1080 screen resolution for Weston on the
same monitor from other boards that support both AGL and GDP like
Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 therefore I am concerned that it might be a BSP
issue. In the same time my colleagues have reported that Weston works
fine with 1920x1080 resolution from Porter on Gechic touch screen.

Could you please provide me support and guidelines how to find a generic
way to run successfully Weston in full HD resolution from Renesas Porter
board on all monitors (of course which hardware supports this resolution)?

Thanks, Leon

--
Leon Anavi
Software Engineer