Qt version on GDP 10

Streif, Rudolf rstreif at jaguarlandrover.com
Wed May 25 14:28:53 EDT 2016

Pavel,

Thank you for providing this analysis.

<snip>

> * The GDP implementation of the GENIVI Software Platform (1) can use
> red-light licensed software as long as it is compliant with the
> specification.  On the positive side, this might lower the cost of
> providing a compliant implementation of some Abstract or Placeholder
> Components (for example, if a v3-licensed implementation matching the spec
> is available).  On the downside, such implementations are unlikely to
> evolve into anything suitable for production (e.g., a reference
> implementation).  This latter property will probably stop most GENIVI
> members from supporting the development of such software.
>
> This would be my personal preference for GDP. It's supposed to be a
complete development platform on the leading edge. It may depend on a
case-to-case evaluation. In this case we are talking specifically about Qt
as the UI framework. The purpose of the UI on GDP is to complete the
platform and provide a means for GDP developers to exercise the underlying
platform components in a meaningful way. For any production use, OEMs and
Tier 1s would replace the UI with their own.

> * The experimental software (2) included in GDP can rely on the red-light
> licensed software, but only before it becomes relevant for the platform
> compliance.  For example, early prototypes and proof of concept software
> could rely on red-light licensed software.  However, this would have to be
> changed prior to including such code as Specific Components or pointing to
> it as a Reference Implementation in the compliance specification.  Since
> such a change would increase the development effort, it is at least
> questionable whether red-light licenses would make sense in this case.
>
> This, IMHO, is difficult as it would require duplication of work. I would
not opt for this approach.

> * Any additional GDP components (3) are mostly about adding some useful
> and visible behavior on top of the services provided by the GENIVI Software
> Platform.  This could be about making the platform software fully
> functional (e.g., by providing Persistence or audio routing plugins) or
> about adding some sort of user interface to trigger the platform
> functionality.  Aside from license compatibility constraints (e.g., when
> developing a plugin), this part of GDP can use red-light licensed
> software.  As with (2), should such software eventually become relevant for
> the GENIVI Software Platform, its red-light license will get into way.
>
> IMHO, this is not that much of an issue for GDP but more for the baselines.

FYI, I just built the most recent GDP. It already includes quite a number
of GPL v3 licensed components, namely all the GNU packages such as
readline, gettext, grub, gnutls, etc.

Rudi

--
*Rudolf J Streif*
System Architect - Open Source Initiative

*M:* +1.619.631.5383
*Email:*  rstreif at jaguarlandrover.com

UK: G/26/2 G02 Building 523, Engineering Centre, Gaydon, Warwick, CV35 ORR
US: 1419 NW 14th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
jaguar.com | landrover.com
-------------------
Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential information for a
specific individual and purpose.  The information is private and privileged
and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please e-mail us immediately.  We
apologise for any inconvenience caused but you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying or distribution or the taking of any action in reliance
on the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail does not constitute an order for goods or services unless
accompanied by an official purchase order.