Updates to GENIVI SOTA - check out the latest!

Arthur Taylor arthur at advancedtelematic.com
Fri May 20 13:51:53 EDT 2016

On 20/05/16 19:38, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Arthur Taylor
> <arthur at advancedtelematic.com <mailto:arthur at advancedtelematic.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I'm happy to announce we've just pushed out another update to the GENIVI
>     SOTA project. 8773 lines added and 2488 removed over the course of 200
>     commits since our last push on March 24th.
>

> Congratulations!
>

>     Changes include...
>
>     Support for HTTPS communcation with vehicles
>      - Optionally deploy without RVI
>     Support for AWS S3 storage backend
>     Support for Debian- / RPM-style package versions
>

> This is interesting for many folks I think because I know a fair amount
> of companies that use Ubuntu as their development environment. Do you
> have instructions on how to get GENIVI SOTA working with deb based
> packages on an Ubuntu LTS like 14.04 or 16.04 (yes, I know about car
> companies that have Ubuntu 16.04 running as an IT supported OS!)

The version of the client that we're going to push next week already
supports this. Anyone unfortunate enough to have attended my talk at the
Paris AMM will have seen me do a live demo of downloading and installing
the SOTA Client .deb package to my laptop, and then using the SOTA
Server/Client to push packages and download and install them on my machine.

I'll see if we can make a step-by-step guide for that process available.
We had to do a bit of magic out-of-band to generate authentication
credentials on the fly - provisioning is still a work in progress. But
we've also kicked off an exciting new "RVI Provisioning" project to work
through those issues.

> It might be good if we kept our debs in a central location too, would
> this work for you: https://launchpad.net/~genivi-ubuntu ?

Right now we have a custom build server that bundles the SOTA Client
with the credentials it needs and creates a user-specific .deb - that's
not really fit for human consumption. But we can for sure share the
unprovisioned / generic deb (32-/64-bit) packages when we make the next
client release.

We would *love* to have an excuse to add Debian package repository
support to the product (i.e. scraping indexes, processing dependencies).
If there are people out there with these requirements, please do raise
your hands so that we can get this on the roadmap.