New player, no surprise

Andersson, Gunnar gunnar.x.andersson at volvocars.com
Fri May 20 10:19:30 EDT 2016

Still a decent message hidden in that article, except for some journalistic
weirdness as always.

First, a cool demo but I can do it too.  I just plug a MHL cable into a
2 year old Android phone, then to the HDMI port of a display and tape
the display to the dashboard  (tongue in cheek).

'scrambling for proprietary middleware or some version of Linux OS'

What does that even mean?
Personally I don't mind me some version of "Linux OS", thank you. :-)

'Lack of middleware standard'... what is the journalist smoking? ;-)
Amusingly I think the rest of the article contradicts that.
Notice that that statement is not strictly written as a quote from Egil
Juliussen - it is only shoved into the same paragraph as if it were.
Sneaky, but we won't fall for it.

* 'IHS predicts Google's move will "consolidate the many Linux OS versions"
to two - Android N OS and GENIVI-compliant OS'

* 'Juliussen foresees a future OS battle in the IVI market primarily fought
among QNX, GENIVI Linux and Android Linux.

Awesome.  So just like now then.

* 'Meanwhile, Android N OS will "hasten the phase-out of the auto version of
Microsoft Windows Embedded and other proprietary OS products," he added.'

That's better.  The overflowing showcase based on GENIVI from our
great members did not go unnoticed I guess.  I could see Egil witnessing
the showcase in Paris and I am glad he could draw these conclusions.

Middleware shmiddleware... the article conveniently avoids touching upon
any alignment to a Google experience on the _user interface level_
Not surprisingly.  Minefield?

I hope you have a great weekend.  I am excited about what remains of this
day, and coming back to GENIVI platform and standardization building next
week.  Together we transform the automotive industry for the better!

Gunnar Andersson
Lead Architect, GENIVI Alliance
Infotainment, Volvo Car Corporation