Number and codenames for GDP next.

Agustin Benito Bethencourt agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk
Tue May 17 06:27:53 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 16/05/16 13:16, Andersson, Gunnar wrote:
> OK, wait, big no from me on a new codename.
>
>> a.- Create a kind of a contest for major releases in this list when the
> moment comes.
>> b.- Let the release manager (maintainers in this case) decide. This
> option is very popular among Open Source projects.
>> c.- Use code-names as a marketing tool, so marketing decides.
>
> I know some people don't like the ones we have already for the
> platform releases.  So why add more I feel.
>
> Choices a) to c) sound like a new codename that has no relationship
> to the platform release?   Big no on that from me.  Only confusing
> and IMHO unnecessary.
>
>> d.- Follow a similar pattern that currently meta-ivi has.
>
> Does d) mean to reuse the GENIVI compliance spec / Software platform
> release name or something else?
>
> I generally think the discussion on how we can (or can't?) follow the
> platform release versions seems to be not concluded.
>
> I think you said it best yourself - GDP needs to catch up to meta-ivi
> first, maybe after that we can start discussing changes in version
> numbers, names and release cadence.

Numbering

So your suggestion is that we call the next version of GDP, GDP-10

Codename

(I answer Jeremiah here too).

The purpose of a codename is define uniquely a release. Using the same
codename for both, meta-ivi and GDP requires that, in order to define a
release and refer to it on daily basis, we need to add in front the
code-name the product.

Like Jeremiah pointed, GDP-Leviathan, to differentiate it from
meta-ivi/baseline Leviathan.

I think there is little point on the code-name then. It is easier to use
GDP-10

agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk