RVI 1.0 feature planning meeting notes.

Feuer, Magnus mfeuer1 at jaguarlandrover.com
Fri May 13 18:50:32 EDT 2016

Colleagues,

Below are the notes from the RVI 1.0 planning meeting we had on May 12,
2016.

*Participants*
William Day - JLR
Anson Fan - JLR
Magnus Feuer - JLR
Don Mies - JLR
Tatiana Jaminson - JLR
Matthew Vick - JLR
Arthur Taylor - Advanced Telematic Systens
Ulf  Wuger - JLR
Magnus Olsson - Ericsson

*Features*
The following features were agreed upon to be included in RVI 1.0

*Public Key Infrastructure [ Coordinator: Lilli Szafranski ]*
RVI 0.5.0 already has encryption, authentication, and authorization. What
is lacking is a system to provision, distribute, deploy, and revoke
certificates and credentials.

A key requirement are P2P credential provisioning where a mobile device can
be granted access directly by a vehicle to control HVAC, etc, without
having to contact a backend server to generate the necessary credentials.

We will bring in best practices from AWS IAM and other proven PKU solutions
to integrate a PKI solution with RVI.

Multiple parties both inside and outside GENIVI are participating in the
early design discussions on this.

*Persistence [ Coordinator: Ulf Wiger ]*
An in-flight transaction, waiting for a data link to a remote RVI node to
become available, must survive a power cycle.

*Remote Procedure Calls** [ Coordinator: Ulf Wiger ]*
Today we are doing fire-and-forget messaging that can silently fail
somewhere on their way to their target.
RVI 1.0 will include full-fledged RPCs (with return values), including a
deep fault tracing and reporting for a single transaction that spans
multiple nodes.

*FrancaIDL [** Coordinator: Aren Edlund (once he is back from paternal
leave) ]*
We will add a FrancaIDL-driven DBUS interface to the RVI service edge, thus
extending the existing HTTP / WebSocket JSON-RPC interface used to manage
services and send messages with a GENIVI-compliant interface.

*Configuration simplification [ Coordinator: Don Mies ]*
To further ease the configuration we will either create a configuration
wizard, or add a YAML-based simplified configuration support.

We are also looking at making two parallel releases of RVI; one bundled
with Erlang, and one that has Erlang as a prerequisite in the debian
package.

*RVI Protocol C Implementation [ Coordinator: Tatiana Jamison ] *
A C Library implementing the RVI Protocl is being created to eliminate the
need for an Erlang runtime system on lower-end devices. The C Library will
use callbacks for all system calls and TLS invocations to make the library
independent of underlying OS/SSL implementations.
We will create a reference implementation that uses Linux/mbed SSL to be
used as a starting point for developers who wants to interface RVI nodes
directly.

*Service naming standardization **[ Coordinator: Lilli Szafranski ]*
Today we have an implicit service naming scheme that is poorly documented.
We will release a formalized naming standard that RVI-using code can depend
on.

---
We will get back with rough time plans once we've sorted out the resource
situation.

Sincerely,

/Magnus F.

-------------------

*Head System Architect - Open Source Projects**Jaguar Land Rover*

*Email*: mfeuer1 at jaguarlandrover.com
*Mobile*: +1 949 294 7871

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
1419 NW 14th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
-------------------
Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential information for a
specific individual and purpose.  The information is private and privileged
and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please e-mail us immediately.  We
apologise for any inconvenience caused but you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying or distribution or the taking of any action in reliance
on the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail does not constitute an order for goods or services unless
accompanied by an official purchase order.