Let's update GDP Launcher (and it's siblings)

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com
Tue Mar 29 17:31:43 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:49 PM, James Thomas <james.thomas at codethink.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 25/03/16 02:25, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> > May I offer a repo here for this work: https://github.com/GENIVI ? This
> way we
> > can create a team around the code and lower the barrier to contribution.
> We can
> > use pull requests but it's also easy to add GitHub ids so people can
> push.
>
> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> I think that would be a good place for it, however I think there needs to
> be
> some discussion around the actual requirements for the component.

Fair enough. :-)

> In my mind we should be treating this as a new addition (within the
> baseline?
> within the demo project?),

My line of thinking is this -- the current "launcher" was mostly an ad hoc
addition when the GDP was created. It was not created from a specification
but rather provided as a demo of what the folks at Wind River can do. As
such it was great -- a useful Qt interface for the GDP. But if the current
maintainers of the GDP, who are doing work on the GDP, want to create
something simpler, that is less patchy, that is easier to maintain, or
perhaps just looks differently, then I think that they should go ahead and
do that.

and I'm not sure about how to start that process
> rolling within genivi. Are the requirements for the hmi-controller document
> anywhere? Perhaps we could adjust them to be much more generic.

I think they should be more generic and reflect the needs of the GDP across
each hardware platform. The GDP doesn't have to be bound by a rigid spec,
it is free to implement an HMI that is relevant to the current state of the
GDP. I would think that a useful, maintained, relatively bug-free launch
tool that demonstrates GENIVI APIs and as much GENIVI technology as
possible would be all the spec one needs.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

--
Jeremiah C. Foster