Was --> "Re: In case you didn't read this already, FBI is telling us to ensure "... vehicle software is up-to-date", IS --> ASIL levels for AGL and GDP

Renjith G renjithg at tataelxsi.co.in
Tue Mar 22 04:06:17 EDT 2016

Dear Jeremiah,Robin,Dan,

Yes, I understand your point. Thank you.
But I thought of extending the same thread by discussing the 'Functional
safety' in perspective of 'Cyber security'.  In ISO26262 part 6 we have
some guidelines(+coding) to have better security approach.

Sorry, I am confused.
AGL to target as ASIL B or ASIL D?

Since GDP aims mainly on infotainment,  Hypervisor designs(+ Functional
safety) are not so mandatory. Since AGL aims to have
Infotainment,Clusters and HUD - ISO26262 requirements will become
mandatory.

Regarding Xen, From my experience, it cannot be used for ASIL based
design approach. Because it always depends on the Dom0 - Linux OS(non
safe at the moment).  Without Dom0, DomU is not having any existence.
There are other Type 1 options, ie by using GHS Multivisor design
approach with Linux. That is very expensive.

 From my experience, Since we don't have any Linux distro available with
ASIL compliance, following design approach may be preferred(at the
moment). Non ASIL part in IC and HUD can also be rendered through Normal HMI

But if we make, AGL as ASIL- compliant, we dont need the Hypervisor at
all for supporting Infotainment,Clusters, and HUD.
Non ASIL part in IC and HUD can also be rendered through Normal HMI

Regarding AUTOSAR, it only can be applied to Vehicle
applications(running in Vehicle controllers) and not so logical to apply
in the graphics part(running in graphical controllers).  But E2E is
exceptional and can be common for both.

regards,
/Ren