Has anyone already prepared FOSS software selection process/criteria/guidelines/checklists?

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 07:00:28 EST 2016

Hi all,

I've been asked to assist with assessment of the applicability of
potential FOSS projects for an automotive customer, and am wondering if
there is anything already written, either for GENIVI or AGL that could
help guide me. Or maybe this has been well covered in other communities?

I've done a quick trawl of various wikis but can't find anything
obvious.

I've prepared a list of questions as follows, which I'd be happy to
compare/contrast/contribute to any existing start point:

- What is the preferred/recommended solution?
- Why is this chosen or preferred?
- What are the alternative or competing solutions?
- How big and how active is the community?
- How big and how active is the upstream team?
- What is their release cadence/approach?
- How much code is this?
- How much effort to maintain?
- Who are the upstream engineers?
- Who employs them?
- Where does the funding come from?
- Is the funding secure and sustainable?

- Where is the source?
- What are their key technology choices?
- What are their dependencies?
- Any weaknesses/bad choices?
- What licenses are applied?
- Any political factors?