Running GENIVI for the first time (on RPi3)

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com
Mon Jun 27 09:09:49 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Assaf Harel <
assaf.harel at karambasecurity.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, the fix works, and my wireless keyboard / mouse are now
> connected and working well.
>
> I still have 2 problems / questions:
>
> 1. Can you suggest how to show a meaningful demo of the GENIVI system in
> action?

Since GENIVI is mostly middleware, there are a number of ways to do this.
If you were ever to attend a GENIVI event there is often a showcase of
member companies and their demonstrations of GENIVI software. Its important
to note that the GENIVI Developer Platform is for developing software on
top of GENIVI middleware and libraries.

Browsing through the menus, I didn't see anything impressive, so I was
> wondering if there are some hidden gems in there.
> What I do see is:
> - Applications starts an hello world app that doesn't work well

- Media player starts xeyes
> - Audio manager starts a nice GUI by Windriver, but I couldn't figure out
> how to play anything through it.
> - Navigation navigates in a straight line through large scale polygons,
> without any control of the keyboard and mouse
> - Fuel suggestions doesn't work at all

Many of these things are just there to demonstrate how to use the subsystem
APIs. The point is not in every instance to have a highly polished demo,
but to rather have stable and functioning middleware and functioning
subsystems.

> 2. How to connect the system through wifi?
> connmand is indeed installed and running as a daemon, but connmanctl
> isn't so I can't do trivial stuff like:
>
> connmanctl enable wifi
> connmanctl scan wifi
>
> etc...
> Any suggestions, or examples how do you connect to your GENIVI systems
> would be highly appreciated.

connmanctl and man pages should likely be installed on a development image.
I'll see if we can't enable a build to do this, though often companies that
work with GENIVI do this themselves through configuring the build system.

Regards,

Jeremiah