Running GENIVI for the first time (on RPi3)

Agustin Benito Bethencourt agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 11:10:20 EDT 2016

Hi again,

On 23/06/16 16:05, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> You mean connected to the network?
>>  >>
>>  >> Yes
>>  >>

>>>     Also, If there’s some how-to-use GENIVI document you can direct me
>>>     to, I’ll gladly read it.
>>>

>>> There is this page:
>>> https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11567210#GENIVIDevelopmentPlatform(GDP)-HowdoIusetheGENIVIDevelopmentPlatform?
>>>
>>> But that really covers usage from a developer perspective, not from an
>>> end user perspective. This page has an overview:
>>> https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11567879
>>>
>>> but it has a limited number of how-tos.
>>>
>>> It would be great to hear from you what type of documentation you're
>>> looking for -- obviously something that helps to configure the wifi
>>> once you've installed, but perhaps there is other specific information
>>> you'd like to get started?
>>  >>
>>  >> Try to look at it from the eyes of a newbie. I’m familiar with open
>> source, GIT, toolchains, HW configuration, etc.
>>  >> What I’m not familiar with is the GENIVI system (as always when
>> you’re new to an open source system).
>>  >> So tell me what you’re trying to do, and how do you do it, and walk
>> me through the first 2 hours of work.
>>  >> What should I do, what do I see, how do I configure, how do I make
>> it work, etc.
>>  >> The GDP9 wiki instruct me on how to build and burn on flash, but
>> after the board init, I have no idea with to do with it...
>
> Assaf, you are absolutely right.
>
> GENIVI still have a lot to do in order to provide an "easy to use"
> platform. Providing a software that boots in several boards is only the
> starting point. That is where we are. We have improved, but is not enough.
>
> Currently, you get to GDP through its landing (home page[1]( or download
> page[2]. You navigate through the feature page[3] to discover what is
> about the latest version and then you arrive to the target page[4] to
> make GDP boot in your board. If you are lucky and it boots, you go to
> GDP In Detail[5] to start learning what is inside this new system but
> from that point there is a huge gap.
>
> GENIVI is divided in groups. We still lack a sense of "product" when it
> comes to GDP. As usual, the documentation is just the reflection of a
> deeper problem.
>
> The good news is that we are aware of the problem and that we can
> improve it without an outstanding effort in two ways:
>
> 1.- Reinforcing the above path to ensure that newcomers do not get lost
> and arrive to GDP in Detail page.
> 2.- Making sure that, from that page, a user arrives to the meaningful
> information we already have about the different GENIVI components.
>
> That way we can detect the current gaps in documentation and fill them.
>
> We can and should improve the situation in the next release. Meanwhile,
> we are putting effort in providing a good support, that partly mitigates

I pressed the Send Now button....

[1] http://projects.genivi.org/gdp
[2] http://projects.genivi.org/gdp/download
[3] http://projects.genivi.org/gdp9
[4]
https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/display/GDP/GDP+target+boards%2C+virtualization+and+peripherals
[5]
https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11567879

 From the links you can easily see another of those issues we are
working on currently and that is in its way to be fixed in the next
release, the URLs.