Add support for auto mounting of USB devices

Sriram G. Sriram.G at kpit.com
Wed Jun 15 23:29:48 EDT 2016

Hi Roland, Jeremiah,

________________________________
From: genivi-projects-bounces at lists.genivi.org <genivi-projects-bounces at lists.genivi.org> on behalf of Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com>
Sent: 16 June 2016 01:22
To: Roland Krause
Cc: genivi-projects at lists.genivi.org
Subject: Re: Add support for auto mounting of USB devices

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Roland Krause <rkrause at ics.com<mailto:rkrause at ics.com>> wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen.

Hey Roland, good to hear from you!

We've had a brief discussion here on the subject of auto mounting of USB devices. Following up on this discussion I would like to first tackle the technical aspects of this feature and suggest that the GDP supports udisks2 which is what most modern Linux distros support and for which documentation can be found. So I created this ticket:

https://at.projects.genivi.org/jira/browse/GDP-252

Decisions about policies, i.e. what should be mounted, what not, how, when, under which privileges need to be made in a different forum as far as I understand. However the result of my request would give individual BSP makers an option to include udisks2 instead of relying on udev-extra-rules which come with a rather outdated automount script that has to be hacked in order to customize mount points, permissions etc..

Where is the best place to have these discussions?

I think this list is a good starting point! :-) GENIVI also has a "Consumer Electronics Expert Group" which handles topics like device connectivity. We don't have a dedicated mailing list for these topics however but I think that keeping Paul Wiles in the loop is a good idea since he's the EG Lead. Hopefully someone will jump into this thread with the current requirements or specs for mounting USB devices and we can have a discussion on the use case and components to fulfill the use case.

Sriram: Thanks Jeremiah for chipping in. We already have a somewhat defunct component called CE Device Manager within our EG. I think it is time to revive that. There is some documentation available which is old. I can walk you through what is available and then we can look at what additional support needs to be brought in. It is directly on top of udev events and follows a plugin based architecture.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

--
Jeremiah C. Foster
GENIVI COMMUNITY MANAGER

Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18
Gothenburg, Sweden
M: +46 (0)73 093 0506
jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com<mailto:jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com>

[cid:A18BDE67-135B-414C-A84C-F167D30AD145]
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the KPIT Technologies Ltd. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. KPIT Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.