Package manager for GDP: smart?

Agustin Benito Bethencourt agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 06:28:24 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 31/05/16 19:19, Streif, Rudolf wrote:
> There are two components to this that we need to distinguish:
>
>   * Platform Package Manager: installs, updates, removes etc. packages
>     from files and maintains the package database. The typical examples
>     are RPM, DEB, IPK.
>   * Package Downloader: checks a download server for new packages that
>     apply to the system, downloads them and then defers to the platform
>     package manager for installation (either by calling the respective
>     executables or using libraries). Typical examples are apt-get, dnf,
>     yum, zypper and Smart PM
>

>     I'd like to say if include Smart PM on the GDP with the settings to
>     pull packages and updates from genivi.
>

> That refers to the function of the package downloader. For GDP this
> function should eventually be carried out by the SOTA system. For that
> reason Nick Contino and ATS are working on setting up a SOTA server on
> the GENIVI infrastructure. On the GDP side the necessary clients of
> course need to be integrated into the platform. I think that makes very
> much sense as it will grow GDP into an end-to-end platform that allows
> testing all of its aspects.
>
> In addition to that if an increasing number of GDP developers is using
> SOTA to maintain the GDP development systems it will provide a lot of
> good beta testing for SOTA eventually vetting it for production
> deployment. For that very reason I would not really want to introduce a
> different package downloader that may most likely not be used on a
> production platform.
>
>        We allow developers to update without rebuilding their
>     development box.  It would also provide for trying different demo's
>     supplied within the GDP.  I'm not sold on Smart PM. It's just a
>     package manager I know is included currently.  Other packages
>     managers could do the job.  I'd also say that RPM is still required
>     as it solves a different problem.
>

> Currently no package manager is included with GDP. The packaging system
> used by GDP is RPM (probably also because it is the YP/OE default).
> Adding the platform package manager is as simple as adding
> package-management to IMAGE_FEATURES or EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES.
>
>     I have used Smart PM on the system without too much trouble.  I get
>     the same experience from apt-get on Ubuntu. I'd like to hear other
>     opinions and thoughts.  I have heard that Smart PM currently has no
>     maintainer and as such may not be a good choice but if it works I
>     say that is not an immediate concern.  Again other package
>     management tools could be used.
>
> I would advocate for staying away from something that is not maintained.
> Even if GENIVI or a GENIVI organization would pick up maintenance for it
> wouldn't it make more sense that the effort is put into SOTA?

I would not want to go this road unless somebody point himself as
maintainer and work on bugfixing and updates. In such case, I propose to
do it in Yocto, not in GDP.

> My suggestion is:
>
>   * Include the platform package manager into the GDP image (quick and easy)

+1

>   * Put the effort into adding SOTA to the GDP image and setting up the
>     SOTA server infrastructure

Dogfood is essential for improving quality. GDP should add and use SOTA.

My question is, can we expect all devs and users out there be willing to
install/configure a server infrastructure to do something "as simple" as
updating their GDP system?

In such case, is there plan to have a "free service" within GENIVI for
this purpose?

agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk