[agl-discussions] GDP Maintenance Roadmap: proposal

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com
Fri Jan 15 03:30:00 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Tom Pollard <tom.pollard at codethink.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Walt, Agustin.
>
> On 14/01/16 20:32, Walt Miner wrote:
> > Hi Agustin,
> >
> > When we planned out the layers for AGL there was a common layer that
> > could be used by GENIVI (or anyone else ) that wants to build off of the
> > AGL distribution. See [1] for more details. The idea was GENIVI could
> > build their GENIVI compliant layer on top of meta-ivi-common. Now that
> > we have an initial version of meta-ivi-common it would be a good time to
> > revisit this proposal.
> >
> > I noticed that the Yocto version is not called out in your plan. My
> > recollection is that GENIVI uses Yocto 1.6. We are in the process of
> > updating AGL from Yocto 1.7 to 2.0. My guess is that it would make more
> > sense to contemplate reorganizing the GENIVI layers when GDP updates
> > from 1.6 after the Paris AMM.
>
> GDP is currently based off meta-ivi-8, using Poky 1.7 Dizzy. Work is
> currently being done to move forward to meta-ivi-9, or basline9 if you
> will, and this will use Poky 1.8 Fido.

This seems like a sensible step-wise approach. Moving from one Yocto
version to another based on the new features in software that is available
is always a powerful driver of software development. But I think we've
found in GENIVI that it has to be balanced with the needs of the "customer"
of the complete stack and that is usually a silicon vendor. They have a
much longer term support window and want high-quality working software so
having stable and step-wise version handling helps their work significantly.

@Walt -- Is the move to Yocto 2.0 driven by particular functionality and/or
feature needs? What specific functionality does a newer version of Yocto
bring?

Regards,

Jeremiah