First GDP Call today: open

Agustin Benito Bethencourt agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 07:18:52 EST 2016

Hi,

On 13/01/16 12:52, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM, James Thomas <james.thomas at codethink.co.uk
>> wrote:
>
>> On 13/01/16 09:33, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
>>> WebEx is difficult to use. Not just on Linux (where it is possible but
>>> suboptimal) but on many platforms. Is it possible to investigate other
>>> channels that would also be significantly less expensive for GENIVI?
>>
>> +1.
>>
>>> There
>>> are a number of tools that use WebRTC for example where you can trivially
>>> have a telco and share your screen without the very heavy, network
>>> intensive WebEx tool. Things like Google Hangouts, appear.in and
>> talky.io
>>> are examples of tools I've tested in the GENIVI Open Source calls with
>> some
>>> success.
>>
>> Does Google Hangouts still require you download a proprietary plugin? I
>> don't
>> think it would be ideal to move from one solution to another that still
>> requires
>> you download propritary add-ons (albeit smaller ones...)
>>

> To be honest, I don't really know. I don't use Hangouts that much, but I
> think its popular and permitted in corporate locations. I agree with you,
> we should avoid as much as possible proprietary plugins, it should be easy
> to use.

Google Hangout is the most widely used option out there despite their
downsides for good reasons... except in China, obviously.

The combination of Hangouts and Uberconference[1] allow those who do not
want to install the plug-in or cannot access Google services to join
through phone or their own device with no video. This option is also
ideal for those who want to participate but has little bandwidth.

I have worked before with this combination and it did the job.

[1] https://www.uberconference.com/hangouts