Analysis of the interaction between Chromium and Wayland-IVI-extension

Jacobo Aragunde PĂ©rez jaragunde at igalia.com
Wed Feb 15 10:01:05 PST 2017

Hi,

I've been trying the LayerManager commands on the GDP to see the
Wayland-IVI-extension interact with Chromium and other applications. I
found that Chromium generally behaves just like other apps, therefore
acting as expected with no other changes than what we have done so far.

These are some facts that can be extracted from the tests:

* Chromium surfaces can be placed anywhere on the available screens,
despite Ozone-Wayland not implementing support for that [1]. I think
this is because, when using the Wayland IVI extensions, the application
is not aware of the actual screens, layers, etc. The IVI controller
takes care of that.

* Chromium takes and gives away the input focus according to
LayerManager commands.

* Keyboard focus can be given to one surface or to several at once;
Chromium surfaces behave like other applications in this regard.

* Pointer focus can be "stolen" from the surface that originally had it.
This happens when you click on a region that belongs to a different
surface. This is expected behavior according to [2].

* Chromium can steal the keyboard focus from another Chromium window.
When there are two Chromium surfaces, if they keyboard focus belongs to
the first one and you click on the second, the second surface will
effectively take the keyboard focus away. LayerManager will not be aware
of the change, it will say the focus still belongs to the first surface.
This is probably an error that should be fixed.

I was unable to define different "seats" with their own input devices,
but I have just found the advanced use instructions at [2]. Next steps
will be defining and trying multiple seats, and fixing the undesired
behavior about stolen keyboard focus.

[1] https://github.com/01org/ozone-wayland/issues/468
[2]
https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/display/WIE/10.+Getting+Started+with+new+Input+Handling+APIs