Surface order issues where surfaces comes from different processes ?

Zeeshan Ali zeeshan.ali at pelagicore.com
Mon Feb 20 07:02:12 EST 2017

Hi Matthias,

On 20 February 2017 at 10:52, MATTHIAS BLOCH <matthias.bloch at mpsa.com> wrote:

> C1-INTERNAL
>
> ________________________________
>

> Dear LM Group,
>

> Philippe and I got an application “Fuel Stop Adivisor” (navigation) which is  a mix of 7 binaries.
>
> Two of these have a UI that should be displayed
>
> -          Hmi_launcher is the main Qt application that show menu and send dbus commands to the others processes.
>
> -          Navit mapviewer is the one that is responsible for the rendering and displaying the map on answer to the hmi_launcher’s commands.
>

> For the moment, no way to handle it by SW, only a script with LayerManagerControl can cope.
>
> How we can deal this without the script ?

AFAIK this is a security feature of Wayland that no process can access
other process' layers (or any other data for that matter). If an app
needs to become a layer manager, it's very likely it's designed in the
wrong way for Wayland.

I was under the impression that we concluded at our FOSDEM meeting
that the UI needs to be redesigned, both at the code-level (because of
this issue) and at UI level.

Zeeshan Ali