Analysis of the interaction between Chromium and Wayland-IVI-extension

Friedrich, Eugen (ADITG/SW1) efriedrich at de.adit-jv.com
Fri Feb 17 09:06:41 EST 2017

Hello Jacobo,

Thanks for the good and also for the bad news!

Please find some short comment below...

[EF] Will Chromium open a new connection to wayland compositor  for every window?
If yes we should check if events are distributed to correct client.
If not we should check if we have correct working ilm surface, e.g. it should be possible to change the visibility of those with LayerManagerControl tool

> I think we have studied enough multi-screen/multi-seat configurations on
> GDP, and identified two situations where Chromium+Ozone-Wayland don't
> work as expected. Plans for the next weeks include addressing these issues.
>
> Best,
> --
> Jacobo Aragunde
> Software Engineer at Igalia
>

> On 15/02/17 19:01, Jacobo Aragunde Pérez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying the LayerManager commands on the GDP to see the
> > Wayland-IVI-extension interact with Chromium and other applications. I
> > found that Chromium generally behaves just like other apps, therefore
> > acting as expected with no other changes than what we have done so far.
> >
> > These are some facts that can be extracted from the tests:
> >
> > * Chromium surfaces can be placed anywhere on the available screens,
> > despite Ozone-Wayland not implementing support for that [1]. I think
> > this is because, when using the Wayland IVI extensions, the application
> > is not aware of the actual screens, layers, etc. The IVI controller
> > takes care of that.
> >
> > * Chromium takes and gives away the input focus according to
> > LayerManager commands.
> >
> > * Keyboard focus can be given to one surface or to several at once;
> > Chromium surfaces behave like other applications in this regard.
> >
> > * Pointer focus can be "stolen" from the surface that originally had it.
> > This happens when you click on a region that belongs to a different
> > surface. This is expected behavior according to [2].
> >
> > * Chromium can steal the keyboard focus from another Chromium
> window.
> > When there are two Chromium surfaces, if they keyboard focus belongs to
> > the first one and you click on the second, the second surface will
> > effectively take the keyboard focus away. LayerManager will not be aware
> > of the change, it will say the focus still belongs to the first surface.
> > This is probably an error that should be fixed.
[EF] this behavior is expected. There should be a trigger from Chromium to the HMI/Application controller
and HMI/Application controller has to decide if the focus should be changed.
Typically  in the IVI environment Hardkey focus is always assigned to same application but of cause not always.