Multi screen configuration with ilm

Friedrich, Eugen (ADITG/SW1) efriedrich at de.adit-jv.com
Sun Sep 25 06:51:00 EDT 2016

Hi John,

You should start weston with:
     --backend=drm-backend.so
The fbdev backend supports only one display, linux can provide several fbdev devices but weston fbdev backend will take only one.

So try to load the drm-backend.so and the following command should report several screens:
LayerManagerControl get screens

You can assign you layer to a corresponding screen id, this way ivi-shell provides you a multi display control.

If you have a touch panel(s) you have to tag those devices with a udev rule so the weston would know with device belongs to with screen.
The udev tag is WL_OUTPUT and you have to put the name of the connector, you will  see it in the weston log during the loading of drm-backend (typically something like HDMI-A-1).

Currently there is no way to predefine the Screen ID to ensure the ILM screen ID 0 will refer always to the same physical connector. This feature is on our todo list but for the actual setup in GDP it should not be a problem.