Understanding waylaid-ivi-extension 1.9.0 APIs usage

Ucan, Emre (ADITG/SW1) eucan at de.adit-jv.com
Wed Mar 9 04:53:55 EST 2016

Hello Vikas,

My answers are below

This API is only required when you want to create surfaces.

> ilm_init()
> ilm_initWithNativedisplay()

These are basically very similar. Ilm_initWithNativedisplay uses the pregiven wl_display and ilm_init creates a wl_display itself

> ilmControl_init()
You should not call this API directly. Ilm_init and ilm_initWithNativedisplay calls this API internally.

If you want to have ilmClient and ilmControl API in one precess, you have to call:
- ilmClient_init
- ilm_init or ilm_initWithNativedisplay

> 4. Is it must to use following apis to add surface to layer and changing other
> surface properties as shown in layer-add-surface.c? or Without this also I can
> use the client and control APIs and make application working properly?
>
> ilm_surfaceAddNotification()
> ilm_registerNotification()

You need this API to notify your HMI for creation of surfaces/layers.

If your HMI is creating its own surfaces, you do not need to use these APIs.

> Sometime I also see following error when trying LayermanagerControl while
> using (ilm_initWithNativedisplay(), ilmControl_init()) inside application, what
> does it signifies?
>
> LayerManagerControl analyze surface 70
> unknown object (17), message layer(?o)
> Failed to initialize wayland connection: Invalid argument [Warning] The
> ilm_control_context is already destroyed Interpreter error: failed

This error means that the wayland compositor does not respond.