Wayland IVI Extension v1.11 released

Agustin Benito Bethencourt agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 05:43:45 EST 2016

Hi,

On 07/12/16 18:05, Ucan, Emre (ADITG/SW1) wrote:
> Hello Tolkien,
>
> We released new stable version of Wayland IVI Extension.
>
> This release:
>
> - fixes several memory leaks
>
> - introduces touch support for subsurfaces
>
> - introduces two new subcmd to LayerManagerControl
>
> You can use this new tag in upstream meta-ivi repository. There are no
> interface changes in this release.

Let me use this example to reflect what I tried to explain at the 15th
AMM meeting in my talk[1][2]

Current "development process" simplified:
* Development team do their work and test it somewhere (in-house mostly)
* When it is stable they release it and include it in meta-ivi that do
some testing.
* GDP pick it up right away, integrate it in Master and it is test by
the contributors community.
* Contributors provide feedback.
* Feedback goes to developers and changes are applied in the next
release in meta-ivi and GDP (loop).

Current "stable process" (simplified):
* A development team "releases" an "stable" component.
* The stable component goes into meta-ivi.
* meta-ivi includes it in its stable release, that targets "pre-production"
* The stable meta-ivi is included in the GDP release, that targets
developers.
* The GDP consumers community use it so provide feedback.
* Feedback goes into the next component release (loop).

In my view,

* Development should happen very close to Master. It matures there (in
parallel with internal development at the developer company if needed).
Feedback from the contributors community comes as the module is developed.
* When the component is mature enough, it is released as part of GDP.
Consumers feedback (wider community) comes there, which has as outcome
testing of wider scenarios (including hardware and peripherals) and
improvements in usability and reduction of complexity in usage,
portability....
* After several weeks of testing by the consumers community and fixes
has been applied, it is included in meta-ivi.
* meta-ivi takes advantage of the development process and the wider
consumers community feedback so they focus on testing
pre-production/compliance/certification scenarios only.

The process is then designed to create synergies, maximising the inputs
in every stage from the outputs of the previous one. This would require
an adjustment of the release cycles/timelines.

In general, the number one limiting factor to reduce lead times is not
automation but feedback loop time frames between consumers and
developers, having integrators as central point. The current process is
very weak in this regard. It is based on a business logic that
contradicts how Open Source delivery processes works.

The ideal situation is: business logic is adapted to the Open Source
nature of the organization to take full advantage of the community
effort through a delivery process with very low feedback loop times.

Surf the wave by steering your board.

[1] Talk:
https://collab.genivi.org/wiki/display/genivi/AllMemberMeeting2016FallSessionContent#AllMemberMeeting2016FallSessionContent-GENIVIsoftwareasportfolio.Wherecanwegonext%3FHow%3F%28%2F%29
[2] Slides: