Getting error "ivi-shell: source rectangle is not yet set byivi_layout_surface_set_source_rectangle"when following the ivi extension quick start guide

Johan Klokkhammer Helsing johan.helsing at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 15 09:10:56 EDT 2016

Hi all.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the ivi extensions for Wayland,
with the intention of eventually implementing some basic support at
least for ivi-application in the Qt Wayland compositor API.

As part of this, I thought I'd follow the quick start quide
(http://projects.genivi.org/wayland-ivi-extension/quick-start) in order
to play around with some clients and get a feel for how it works.

I built and installed the plugin according to the guide without
trouble, but I get an error when trying to run the example. i.e. when
running this part of the guide:

$ export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/var/run/user/1000
$ weston & #reports ivi-shell.so and ivi-controller.so being loaded, no
errors
$ EGLWLMockNavigation & # no errors
$ LayerManagerControl create layer 1000 600 400
$ LayerManagerControl set layer 1000 render order 10
$ LayerManagerControl set screen 0 render order 1000 # prints:
"ivi-shell: source rectangle is not yet set by
ivi_layout_surface_set_source_rectangle"
$ LayerManagerControl set layer 1000 visibility 1

The compositor window is black the whole time, and I never see the
client.

Running the client with WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 I can see a request for
ivi_application::surface_create along with an attach, damage and commit
for the surface.

I'm doing this on Ubuntu 15.04 inside X, using the wayland and weston
1.9 branches. Regular weston with xdg_shell clients runs fine.

I tried with wayland-ivi-extension 1.9.0 and 1.9.1.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the guide out of date? Or is this
supposed to work and should be filed as a bug?

Johan Helsing